Every once in a while events happen in beautiful harmony. Last week I got notification of a new blog post by Kelly over at Inspired Edibles. She shared a recipe for cauliflower puree, and her post immediately made me crave some. I even exchanged a couple of emails with her comparing notes, as I had a version in my blog, from a couple of years ago. I made the puree on a Sunday to have it ready for our dinner next day. To serve with it, I picked a simple recipe (Mondays are busy days for us): Shrimp in Spicy Orange Sauce… Right as my shrimp defrosted in the fridge next day, Kelly published a new post with a recipe for Spicy Orange Ginger Shrimp! subliminal, virtual inspiration? I like to think so… 😉
SHRIMP WITH SPICY ORANGE SAUCE
(from Cooking Light magazine, August 2007)
1 + 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp chile paste
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
1/3 cup chopped green onions
Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch, toss well to
coat, and set aside. Combine orange juice, soy, honey, vinegar, and chile paste in a small bowl. Reserve.
Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger to the pan. Stir fry for 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add shrimp mixture, stir fry for 3 minutes. Add the juice mixture and onions, cook for a couple of minutes or until the sauce thickens and the shrimp are done, stirring frequently.
to print the recipe, click here
So here is my delicious dinner, served! Shrimp in a tasty and quick to prepare orange sauce, over cauliflower puree with a hint of apple. A match I had never attempted, but is now classified as “made in heaven!” Usually I would serve this type of dish with steamed rice, but I must say the cauli puree worked its magic here. The meal was slightly more substantial, leaning into the comfort food zone, great way to wrap up a Fall weeknight.
And, to go along in the inspired route, Alaina from Flat Leaf Parsley awarded me the “Very Inspiring Blogger Award“. Inspiring! How wonderful is that? The award requires that you say 7 things about yourself. I’ve played this game before, and was tempted to just copy the same 7 facts here, but I thought that would be almost cheating. So here you have seven “new” ones:
1. I’ve worn the same perfume for the past 30 years: a Brazilian cologne called Free. Every year when I go to Brazil I stock up, and usually also get a couple of bottles from friends and family as gifts. They know I would have a hard time without it!
2. I have no sense of orientation whatsoever, and get in frequent trouble because of it. I turn to the wrong side on the street and inside buildings. I get lost going from the bathroom to my table in restaurants. It is pathetic and at times very embarrassing.
3. I am very good both at parallel and back -parking, love the challenge of fitting our pick up truck in the tiniest spots. And, I am obviously very modest! 😉
4. I used to drive a Porsche 944 Turbo. Red. Gorgeous. Not a wise economical decision from a maintenance perspective (it had over 100 thousand miles when I bought it), but I had a blast driving it!
5. I studied Mandarin Chinese for a few years, wish one day I can find the energy and time to go back to it. Writing ideograms is an introspective and rewarding experience.
6. Every day for the past 4 years, I send a picture of something beautiful (landscape, animals, flowers, sunsets) by email to a group of family members and friends. I call it “Beleza do Dia” (Beauty of the Day), and really enjoy doing it.
7. My motto: everything in moderation, except exercise… 😉 I have more than 30 fitness-related DVDs to provide enough “muscle confusion”, although P90X is my favorite.
Thank you so much, Alaina, for passing me this award!
ONE YEAR AGO: A Simple Appetizer (Baked Ricotta)
TWO YEARS AGO: Sour Cream Sandwich Bread
THREE YEARS AGO: Pasta with Zucchini Strands and Shrimp